Monday, February 16, 2015

Agent Route or Self Publish?

I've been debating about this since self-publishing my cookbook (which has been pirated to illegal eBook download sites already) and discovering how much work there is behind marketing and just keeping up on things.

With a demanding full-time job that requires on-call rotations and typically a 60-hour week, the last thing I want to do is create a bunch of posts on a variety of platforms to try to sell more books. I want to use that time to write, not market. Alas, I'm not independently wealthy and cannot afford to hire my own marketing team. And I didn't win the big lotto. Sigh.

I do realize that an agent won't do the marketing for me either, but I have to wonder if things would be tad easier to go the more traditional route of an agent and publishing house to get my other books out there.

The one thing I do know: I don't know enough to know what I don't know that may sneak up and bite me in the ass later on. I'm still learning, not just the craft of writing (which I still need loads of help with) but the business aspects of publishing. It's the one of the few industries that I haven't work in my real job of being an IT geek.

Maybe it's because I don't understand the business that keeps me wavering back and forth. That and not knowing exactly what niche my books belong in. They cross a few different genres, not fitting neatly into any one category, rather having parts of multiple genres scattered through them.

My best guess at this point is to really polish up the first few books and start the submission process over again while looking for a cover artist and saving my pennies to pay for the artwork. Because artists deserve to get paid too. But if anyone knows of an artist willing to make a trade for their name on the cover, please send them my way. I'm always willing to barter!

No comments: