Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year, New You?

by Andrea Dickinson

What is it about the changing of the calendar year that gets people excited about making a fresh start? Isn't each day a new beginning?

The excitement and parties of New Year's Eve baffle me. I don't understand the euphoria around another year ending.

Perhaps, I am the Grinch who stole New Year's Eve. That certainly seemed to be the case this year when I woke my girlfriend (at her request) eight minutes before the ball dropped. Apparently I tuned the TV to the wrong ball dropping party. I didn't realize more than one channel showed the New York ball drop, and wouldn't it look the same on every channel anyway?

I was grumbling about how I would never stand outside for 12 hours(!) to reserve a space in Times Square to be surrounded by a mob of people in the freezing weather. This is fun for people?!?! (I suppose with enough alcohol in their bodies the cold would be irrelevant.) Apparently, my girlfriend has always wanted to be in New York for the ball drop, and all my grumping was putting a damper on her good mood. I was ruining the total experience for her and that made me feel bad. I promised to do better next year.

So what about you? How was your New Year's Eve? Do you get excited and go out to party? Or do you sit on the couch and doze off before midnight?

No comments: