Monday, June 16, 2014

Counting our Blessings

With all the bad news recently, Isla Vista, Tony Gwynn's passing (he was geninuely a nice person) and the dust ups in the Middle East, I thought I'd share something a friend of mine has started doing.
It's called the "Good News Channel". What he's doing is asking all his Facebook friends and family to share just one little piece of good news with him that he can share via a YouTube video. Every morning he gets up early, powers on his webcam and reads the good news from his friends and family.

We get to hear all the good news like kids graduating high school or college or getting amazing grades. Friends who just landed new jobs after months (or years) of unemployment. Baby announcements, wedding announcements, and engagements. First jobs being landed by new graduates or teens who just got their driver's licenses.

And then there's the little things like, "I got up this morning" (for those suffering from depression) and "Yay I found coffee!". Or the puppy made it through the night without needing a trip outside to go potty. Or the baby finally slept through the night. One of my favorites is about getting out of the shower to find a nice clean, warm towel fresh from the dryer.

He's announced that my cookbook is done and that his prized SUV was getting detailed. Things like "so-and-so's making jam today, anybody want some?" and details of fresh hauls from the veggie garden get tacked on as well.

What I've noticed since he's started this is that my day starts out better too. It reminds me that the little things deserve to be celebrated too. So today, for my good news it's "Yay, I found coffee!". Because I really, really needed that today.

What's your good news today?

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

What a great idea! I'll have to look up his YouTube Channel. Good news is always welcome.