Friday, April 18, 2014

Holiday Traditions




Hello everyone, I hope all is well with you. I’m Lisa Orchard the author of the bestselling Super Spies series and I’m back today to talk about family traditions. Since it’s Easter Weekend I thought it would be appropriate.

In my opinion, it’s these holiday traditions that keep a family together. When kids are young, it’s all about making memories for them. I’m sure we can all remember waking up on Easter morning with anticipation running through our veins, because we get to search for hidden eggs that we decorated the night before. I felt this same anticipation at Christmas too. I mean presents! What an awesome thing to wake up to, right?

As we grow older, the focus changes, well at least for me it has. Now, instead of getting presents and candy it’s more about giving and family. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see my family as often as I’d like. The holidays are an excuse for everyone to get together, share news, and enjoy each other’s company.

I think holidays are important because it gives us something to anticipate. What would it be like if there were no holidays and every single day was the same? I think it would take much of the joy out of our lives. In my opinion, we should be striving to put as much joy in our lives as we can, because let’s face it life can be hard. As adults, we’re always striving to deal with all the responsibilities that come with adulthood so moments of pure joy come less and less often.


So this Easter, take a little time and savor watching your kids hunt for Easter eggs and maybe even participate. Who knows, it might wake your inner child. You might experience a moment of pure joy. J

This photo compliments of Creative Commons on Flickr. Photographer Shannon Ramos. Here's the link to license:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/



2 comments:

Carissa's Musings said...

as we moved with the military, all we had was the traditions we started. Even now,Christmas eve dinner is the same,and I've heard, "yep, now its Christmas. Mom is making star cookies." And certain decorations always had to go in the same spot. Fall was picking apples and making applebutter,
spring meant the first bbq of the season- way before anyone else would break out grills. Mardi Gras season meant King Cake...Joe complained because I didn't make one this year. I would love to try making those eggs- I watched a couple of craft shows do versions of them back in the 90s but never tried.

Lisa Orchard said...

Thanks for stopping by Carissa! Sounds like you've got some solid family traditions. I love family traditions! We've started a few of our own with our boys. I'm hoping to create some good memories for them, because that's what those traditions do!

I know what you mean about the egss. Don't they look gorgeous. Maybe Rachel Ray will have a show about how to make them, sometime!