Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I'm so over Winter, aren't you?



Hello everyone, I hope all is well with you. I’m Lisa Orchard the author of the bestselling Super Spies series and I don’t know about you, but I am so over winter.

 I never thought I suffered from the Seasonal Affective Disorder, but this year I believe I do. I crave sunlight! I was so excited last Friday when the temperature reached fifty degrees and the sun was out. I was sure the end of this long dreary winter was in sight.

Sigh. It was not meant to be, because the temperature plummeted and it’s freezing again. On the plus side, I was able to get my fourth novel completed and I’m in the editing phase now. Nevertheless, I've watched more TV this winter than I have in the past. I’ve also found I’m less motivated to exercise and I don’t accomplish as much. I’m sure that I have some form of the Seasonal Affective Disorder. I’ve never been diagnosed, but I do notice I tend to slow down in the winter.

 Maybe I’m supposed to hibernate.

Maybe I was a bear in another life. Nah.

This thought does make me wonder about the connection we have with nature though. Maybe everything’s supposed to slow down in the winter. Look at the trees, they lose all their leaves and go into their own kind of hibernation. They don’t grow in the winter; instead, they enter a stage called dormancy.

This seems to be the natural cycle of many species, but we humans are different. We can’t go through a whole winter without food. Our bodies aren’t made that way. However, I do believe there is a natural ebb and flow of energy and in winter, we have less.

I can’t wait for summer when it’s so hot the heat shimmers off the road and you have to leave the windows open at night, hoping for some sort of breeze. I miss those days! Maybe I should move somewhere tropical. Where it’s hot all the time, there’s no snow, and it never gets below fifty degrees. I could deal with that, couldn’t you?

Where would you move, if you could move any place in the world?


Here's a picture of Torch Lake on one of those hot summer nights when the crickets are chirping and there's no breeze. Ahhh... It gives me something to hope for!

IMG_0314


Thanks for stopping by and reading my post! Leave a comment and let me know if you could move anywhere in the world where would it be? I’m curious!



11 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hi! Nice post today. I'm a lucky critter: I was able to move to my dream place, which is the Pacific Northwest. Yes, we get some rain, but no more than the east coast, it's just spread out more--literally. We have more space between our raindrops, I swear. And we almost NEVER get ice storms, which keep hitting my poor folks here in NC where I'm visiting. I don't know how you Michiganders stand it! Stay warm!

Lisa Orchard said...

Thanks for stopping by Gretchen! I'm so glad you got to move a place you love! It's been a tough road for us Michiganders, that's for sure, but the end is in sight! (crosses fingers and says a silent prayer). Have a great day!

Sharon Ledwith said...

Agreed, Lisa! I'm finished with winter and spring can't come any sooner! Now...where's that freaking groundhog?

Sharon Ledwith said...

Agreed, Lisa! I'm finished with winter and spring can't come any sooner! Now...where's that freaking groundhog?

Lisa Orchard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Orchard said...

He's hiding Sharon! He found out someone has taken out a contract on him! ;) Thanks for stopping by! :)

Alan Tucker said...

We're finally starting to see some hints of spring around here. I was beginning to wonder if it wouldn't show up until June or July! Take care and stay warm!

Rita Monette, Writer said...

If it weren't for my yankee husband, I'd probably move where it stays above 80 degrees all year round. It never gets too hot for me. As for spring...I do have a few tulips and some other bulby things popping up in the flower beds. As for Mr. Groundhog, I have a few words for him I can't put here.

Lisa Orchard said...

Alan and Rita, Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! We've had a reprieve today, it actually got warm! :) Rita, I've been looking for that groundhog too! :)

Carissa's Musings said...

I am so happy I escaped just in the nick of time- this winter would have landed me in the hospital.

Lisa Orchard said...

Yikes Carissa, I'm glad you escaped as well! I'd hate to see anyone stuck in the hospital!