Saturday, March 1, 2014

Goals and Incentives


by Patricia Kiyono

I’ve always been enticed by external incentives - whether it’s a BOGO sale on shoes or an offer of a free ice cream cone if I buy a certain burger. When it comes to writing, the incentives help me to come up with ideas for new stories. Several of my books, both published and partially done, have been the result of challenges put out by GRRWG as well as MMRWA and one of my publishers. There’s just something about the fact that you’re going into this along with other writers that makes the process more fun! 

For the past three weeks, GRRWG members have been slaving away at our annual Winter Nano challenge. I signed up, but chances are I won’t finish. Why? Because I was busy completing other projects. Basically, trying to finish other goals I had set for myself. I wanted to finish a novella for an anthology I’d been invited to submit to, and I did - several weeks after it should have been completed. Of course, that put me off schedule for planning my Winter Nano project. 

Am I upset? No. It would have been nice to have another project done by now, but all is not lost. I’m still writing every day, learning new things all the time, and even though I didn’t write 32,000 words, several projects now have new scenes. I’m still going to write the book I’d planned to write during Winter Nano, but it will take a bit longer than I’d hoped. It will get done, I’m sure. Because I’ve been handed a new incentive: another writing group I belong to is having their Nano during the entire month of March. And I have spring break this week. 


Wish me luck.

No comments: