Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ash Wednesday and Divine Intervention



By W. S. Gager
Wednesday was Ash Wednesday and a day for many that signals the start of the Lenten season and a time of preparation. Ironic that for me, I finally figured out a way to end my book that has been plaguing me for months. 

Is there a correlation? Maybe. As a Catholic I decided that part of my preparation for Lent, I would give up distractions that keep me from my computer like all those little games that steal 30 minutes or 45 minutes when I think I don’t have time to do anything else. 

Was it the threat that I would be staring at the screen in frustration? I had been doing a lot of that when I wasn’t ignoring it all-together and playing the games on my phone! Lucky for me it also coincided with my critic group. We brainstormed what could happen from my partial chapter. Just their suggestions helped me develop a plan to end the book that would work with a little rewriting in other chapters. The exhilaration and hope has stayed with me and it has been nearly 24 hours.

Now I can have the rough draft done by Easter or sooner. I was in the home stretch with lots of twist and turns and now this part usually goes fast, once I have a direction. What goals will you set for yourself for Lent and after to finish your writing goals? What do you need to give up so you have more time to write? It makes all the difference.


W.S. Gager Bio
Award winning mystery author W.S. Gager has lived in Michigan for most of her life except when she was interviewing race car drivers or professional woman's golfers. She enjoyed the fast-paced life of a newspaper reporter until deciding to settle down and realized babies didn't adapt well to running down story details on deadline. Since then she honed her skills on other forms of writing before deciding to do what she always wanted with her life and that was to write mystery novels. Her main character is Mitch Malone who is an edgy crime-beat reporter always on the hunt for the next Pulitzer and won't let anyone stop him. Her third book, A CASE OF HOMETOWN BLUES, was a finalist in the 2012 Daphne Du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense. A CASE OF VOLATILE DEEDS is the latest in the Mitch series.
 

2 comments:

J Q Rose said...

Glad to hear you're entering the home stretch in your story. Can't wait to find out the ending. Good idea to use this time of reflection to set goals.

Peg Herring said...

I can relate!