Sunday, February 16, 2014

Is it fair to call myself an author now?

I was at the local copy/print place getting a special edition of my self-published cookbook printed up. While explaining to the nice gentleman helping me with my order that I was the author, I felt a twinge of guilt.

Is it fair to call myself an author when I've only self-published this one cookbook? It seems a bit unfair to me to refer to myself as an author when it's self-published. No agent involved, no stream of rejection letters filling up a drawer, and no big plans for blog tours or signings. In a way I feel like a bit of a fraud, although I will admit this cookbook has proven to be more of a challenge than I though it would be.

Cookbooks sound easy enough. Assemble all of your favorite recipes, put them into a document and upload it to your favorite eBook distributor. Well, on the surface that is indeed what you do. The challenge is in the formatting...most of the current formats do not recognize tabs and handle tables in an odd fashion. Previewer tools aren't perfect either so it takes lots of playing and some faith that tables will display correctly.

And then there's all the baking to make sure you have your measurements right. Yes, I did indeed make up all 63 recipes in my cookbook. That doesn't make me an author, it makes me a baker of sorts.

So, does all the baking and formatting make me an author? At this point I'm not certain. I'm just thrilled that almost 10 copies have been sold while my cover artist works on the print copy format.

2 comments:

Andrea Dickinson said...

Of course that makes you an author! Congrats on your first book, J.C.!

Have you heard the new trend to rename "self-published" to "author-published" books?

I know you have many more books in your future, and I can't wait to read all of them.

J.C. Hanks said...

Thanks Andrea! :)