Wednesday, December 18, 2013

"The Christmas Grab Bag Game!"




Hello everyone! I hope all is well with you. I’m Lisa Orchard the author of the bestselling Super Spies series and it’s my turn to be a guest at the GGRWG Blog today. I don’t know about you, but Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love everything about it. Shopping for presents for my family, making Christmas cookies, and decorating the tree are some of the highlights that come to my mind. The fact that my kids still believe in Santa is a bonus too!

On my mom’s side of the family, we get together at Christmas and it’s great to see my relatives especially the ones I don’t get to see any other time of year. We have yummy food, wine, and awesome conversation. One thing we do after everyone’s stuffed is a gift exchange. We call it The Grab Bag.

We separate the gifts into two categories, male and female. Then we draw numbers and when your number is up, you can select a gift from one of the categories. Where this gets interesting is when it’s your turn, you can select an unwrapped gift or steal a gift from someone who has already opened one. J

Over the years, we’ve had to set some rules. For example, a gift can only be stolen three times. Once it’s with its third owner, that’s it. No more stealing. I’m sure you can understand why this rule developed. We had one party that went into the wee hours of the morning because; well I’m sure you get the picture.

Anyway, this year I was having a hard time trying to come up with a gift for this party. I ended up shopping at the last minute because I ran out of time. I couldn’t come up with an original gift. We’ve been doing this for years and I wanted to get something that hasn’t been given before. Anyway, I settled on a very pretty picture frame that when you filled it turned into a collage of different photos. I loved it, but I wasn’t sure anyone else would.

The person who got the frame loved it, but I felt it wasn’t very personal. After the party, I got a great idea for next year. I’m going to give either a bunch of books, everyone in my family loves to read, or a gift card to either Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I think it’ll be a gift card so whoever gets it can pick out the books they want to read. I love giving books at Christmas time! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before the party. My bad!

I love finding unique gems to read. I’m sure you do too, a book that touches you in some way. I’ve found such gems at this website.


The website is Clean Indie Reads and the books featured there are clean fiction. They’re not filled with bad language or questionable content. There’s something there for everyone. I have my own page too, featuring my Super Spies series. So if you’re struggling with finding the perfect Christmas Gift, think about giving some books and check out Clean Indie Reads I’m sure you’ll find something there for even the most hard to buy person on your list!

Thanks for stopping by and reading my post! I hope you enjoy your Christmas Holiday and if you have any ideas for a unique Christmas gift please leave a comment I’d love to hear from you!


2 comments:

Joselyn Vaughn said...

A bookstore gift card is a great idea! People would be stealing that one for sure.

Lisa Orchard said...

I agree Joselyn! Everyone one loves reading! Wish I would have thought of it a little earlier for this year though! But there's always next year! ;)