Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Running to the Middle of the Road



I’m a mass of m’s (Doesn’t need the apostrophe but other wise you would think I’m a mass of misses.) I’m a middle of the roader. I was a middle child of boys that garnered attention for less than positive things. I live in the Midwest and Michigan in particular and proud of it and the state I live in. 

I was a reporter for a decade but only one a couple of awards and they were for group stories that were shared with others. The stories I liked to write the best were where I could tell someone’s whole story but that wasn’t possible in the rush to be first world.  I’m the workhorse that doesn’t want the credit. I want to do my job and am uncomfortable waving the banner that says: “Buy my book.”

So why did I become an author? The voices in my head refused to be silent any longer. I started my first novel while recovering from surgery and I was so bored, I couldn’t stand it. No lifting, no carrying anything, and no cleaning. Basically I as regulated to the couch in front of the TV and I hated it. After a couple of days of soaps and talk TV, I was becoming psychotic (remember I told you I heard voices.)

Then I remember I always wanted to write a novel and I might as well begin. So I did and before I knew it my recuperation period was over and my novel wasn’t done. I couldn’t finish it unless I changed my quiet days to nights and weekend and that is what I did. After realizing I wasn’t’ cut out to do romance, I settled on…you guessed it another M: Mystery. 

My main character is none other than Mitch Malone who is anonymously given a dog, Molly, in my most recent release, A Case of Volatile Deeds. Surprisingly for someone not interested in attention, my work has won a few awards and A Case of Hometown Blues, my third in the Mitch Malone Mysteries ,was a finalist for the 2012 Kiss of Death Daphne Du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense.  I also won a contest that resulted in getting my first book, A Case of Infatuation, published. 

Do you gravitate toward one letter? Or do you hate alliteration?

Award winning mystery author W.S. Gager has lived in Michigan for most of her life except when she was interviewing race car drivers or professional woman's golfers. She enjoyed the fast-paced life of a newspaper reporter until deciding to settle down and realized babies didn't adapt well to running down story details on deadline. Since then she honed her skills on other forms of writing before deciding to do what she always wanted with her life and that was to write mystery novels. Her main character is Mitch Malone who is an edgy crime-beat reporter always on the hunt for the next Pulitzer and won't let anyone stop him. Her third book, A CASE OF HOMETOWN BLUES, was a finalist in the 2012 Daphne Du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense. A CASE OF VOLATILE DEEDS, her fourth in the Mitch series was released in February

A Case of Volatile Deeds Link



4 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Marvelous post, Wendy! Much appreciated. Maybe it will be Made into a book! And yes, I love alliteration.

Tess Grant said...

I love me some alliteration! As for a particular letter, no absolute faves, but once I pick one it seems to recur over and over again in the same book (Kitty and Kevin, Stu and Stefan, Joe and Jenna).

J.C. Hanks said...

I have a lot of M's in my first book two, 2 of the secondary and constantly present characters are Molly and Maggie, which gets confusing with long conversational blocks...to make it worse, Maggie's crush is Matt. Go figure! :)

J Q Rose said...

I had to keep reading when I saw you were a mass of m's. I'm thinking m and m's my favorite candy!! Clever post. Best wishes on your new release!