Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My love/hate relationship with galleys

by Joselyn Vaughn

If you're not familiar with them, galleys are the very last editing step before your book is released or goes to print. All of your content and line editing should be done and now you are just looking for typos.

My first set of galleys (for CEOs Don't Cry) looked like a photocopied version of the book. I was so excited when the stack of paper arrived in the mail, I almost cried. My writing was really going to be published.

The whole editing process for that book took several months, so there was lots of time to breath between in between drafts and rereading the book.

Since then the timeline has become more compressed. Galleys become the sixth time I've been through my manuscript in six weeks. I feel like I've read the words so many times, I only see what I expect to see. I'm supposed to be looking for typos, missing words, etc. and my eyes are glazing right over. All I can think about is how tired of this book I am.

But underlying all that the excitement of having a book published is still there. A new book with a fabulous cover with my name on it will soon be available for sale. And hopefully people will enjoy reading it.

The upcoming book, Climbing Heartbreak Hill:



Tara’s cheerleading career ended abruptly and she faces an upward climb beating the stereotype as dumb blonde in her new calling as an accountant. Framed with defrauding the IRS during the last weeks of the tax season, Tara’s tentative confidence is shaken, but Ryan coaches her in ensnaring the true perpetrator. She cheers him on in discovering his identity as a coach rather than an athlete.

With the help of the junkyard king and a mechanical bull, can Tara and Ryan find the courage to climb Heartbreak Hill together?

Check my blog (http://joselynvaughn.com) on May 21 for purchase information.

2 comments:

Carissa's Musings said...

I handed mine off to my husband after the 4th one- I was missing the obvious also. Soon it will be worth it.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I can't wait to read Heartbreak Hill! I loved the other stories in the series. Galleys are a pain, so I usually ask my daughter to help me look for errors. She finds a lot more than I do.