Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Writer's Block: Fact or Fiction



By W. S. Gager
Writer’s block. Do we all suffer from it? Is it a myth? That has been discussed on a writer’s loop I’m on and it made me think about it. I’ve never believed in writer’s block because my early years  of writing was as a journalist. I had to write breaking news on deadline and there wasn’t time to think of the most perfect words. It was a race to get the who, what, where and why down so it could come out in print within hours.  I never had difficulty writing.

In my early years as a novelist I never had a problem writing either. It may not always have been easy or good but the words came. In the last year, the words seemed clogged, lost and my muse was missing. I’ve never believed in writer’s block but I had no desire to write. To compound the problem, I had a book due. It didn’t help that I didn’t like it and kept rewriting and rewriting, never satisfied. I finally finished it and sent it off. I never felt it was good enough until I read it in the text block format from my publisher. 

That book was A CASE OF VOLATILE DEEDS that came out last month. It felt good knowing that book was done but since then I haven’t written much of anything but blogs. Am I suffering from writer’s block? Maybe. The latest release was my fourth in the Mitch Malone Mysteries and I wanted a break from my cranky crime beat reporter. 

I do have another series that has more serious undertones that I’ve wanted to write. It will be very different but still be classified as a mystery. That idea has been bouncing around in my head. I’ve tried to write it, but haven’t gotten anywhere for months. 

The damn broke over the weekend. I was able to get a whole chapter done. It felt so good. I think part of the blockage was stress. Things in my life are falling into place and maybe that is why the inspiration began or maybe it was I just sat at the computer and didn’t leave until the words started. 

I still don’t know what the real cause was but it just proved what the general consensus was in the many emails of fellow writers. You can’t get anything done unless you get your butt in the seat and your fingers on the keys. The words may not be good but you need to get them started. I promise to get my butt in the seat on a regular basis. New characters are calling and the ideas are flowing. 

Blurb:

A Case of Volatile Deeds is just out in kindle. Reviews said "sure to be on the best of 2013 lists." Reporter Mitch Malone dumps his date without a second thought to get a byline on an explosion only to find his date dead and believed to have set the charge. As he investigates, it leads him to city hall, real estate corruption, more bodies and even his own death if he can't get his exclusive in print.


Award winning mystery author W.S. Gager has lived in Michigan for most of her life except when she was interviewing race car drivers or professional woman's golfers. She enjoyed the fast-paced life of a newspaper reporter until deciding to settle down and realized babies didn't adapt well to running down story details on deadline. Since then she honed her skills on other forms of writing before deciding to do what she always wanted with her life and that was to write mystery novels. Her main character is Mitch Malone who is an edgy crime-beat reporter always on the hunt for the next Pulitzer and won't let anyone stop him. Her third book, A CASE OF HOMETOWN BLUES, was a finalist in the 2012 Daphne Du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense. 


4 comments:

Joselyn Vaughn said...

So glad to hear the words are flowing again. :)

WS Gager said...

Thanks. Just have to keep them up!
Wendy

Patricia Kiyono said...

I'm so happy for you! Sometimes a change is needed. Good luck on your new series.

WS Gager said...

Thanks Patty!
Wendy