Thursday, March 14, 2013

Starting a New Series

by Joselyn Vaughn

All of my first six books either took place in the same town or had related characters. I had gotten to know the town and the people that lived there: where the junk yard was; who to go to for the best, unreliable gossip; and who would help you hide the body. I had it all down: the characters, the timelines, and the histories.

But now I'm ready to move to another town with new characters. (Whether Minnie will let me remains to be seen.)

As I start this new book, I am realizing how much I have to figure out. I don't know how old Penny is or who she is connected to. She insists on being called 'Aunt', but I haven't figured out whose aunt she is. I don't know Sidney and Joshua's dad met. And poor Joshua's dad, he doesn't have a name. Joshua's first name has already changed once, but he doesn't have a last name. I haven't figured out how long everyone had known each other, how long they've been in town, or how they met.

It's a bit overwhelming. It's kind of like moving to a new city and trying to get settled. You don't know where anything is or how anyone is connected. It takes time to figure out the history of the town and the people in it.

So far, it's coming in bits and pieces. There's a lake. Sidney owns an alterations shop and lives around the corner from Joshua's dad. I don't know how she learned to sew yet. Joshua has a job that allows him to work from anywhere, but he also travels a lot and can take a leave of absence without much of a problem. There's a series of canoe races that are so important to the town that someone brings a trolling motor.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the story unfolds.

Climbing Heartbreak Hill, the last book related to the Ladies Night Out, is coming out soon from Astraea Press.


Tara’s cheerleading career ended abruptly and she faces an upward climb beating the stereotype as dumb blonde in her new calling as an accountant. Framed with defrauding the IRS during the last weeks of the tax season, Tara’s tentative confidence is shaken, but Ryan coaches her in ensnaring the true perpetrator. She cheers him on in discovering his identity as a coach rather than an athlete.
With the help of the junkyard king and a mechanical bull, can Tara and Ryan find the courage to climb Heartbreak Hill together?

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Heartbreak Hill sounds like another winner! And your Sweet Saturday excerpts from your new book sound great - I'm sure the details will flesh out soon. And you'll love this new town and set of characters as much as the last one. May Minnie can come and visit!

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Thanks, Patty! I hope it takes off.