Friday, March 1, 2013

Leavin' On a Jet Plane...


by Patricia Kiyono

Another month has gone by, and although I've made progress on a few of my goals, I've fallen dreadfully short on others. I still weigh the same as I did on January 1, and I still have tons of "stuff" that needs to be used up or put away. I started writing a new book for Winter Nano, but I haven't had the daily word count needed to get my 32K written by our next meeting.
So what am I going to do? Am I going to lock myself in my room without food and water until I get caught up?  That might solve the weight problem but I would be a bear to live with, and I'm not sure my family would put up with that. Am I going to sob and wring my hands and give up? Not my style. That's not going to change a thing!
What I am going to do is leave town. That's right. This afternoon I will be on a plane headed for LosAngeles. It's my spring break and I am so ready to leave winter behind that I am shelling out the bucks for a trip I've wanted to take for years. My cousin (one of only two English speaking relatives) lives there, and I haven't visited her for a long, long time. So my daughter and I are packing our bags and heading out. We are going to visit all the tourist sites, soak up the sunshine, and eat all kinds of good food.
I'm taking my ipad along so that I can do my daily 750 words and keep in touch. I've got 100-plus books on it, and my games if I get bored – or if I wake up way to early for things to be going on. And I suppose if inspiration hits, it's possible I can still crank out the words needed to get this next book into enough of a framework for the estimable Stephanie Michels to do her magic. But if I don't get a lot of writing done I'm not going to beat myself up. I'm going to soak in all the atmosphere and have all the experiences I can, and hopefully I'll be all ready to come back and start writing.
I know this drastic change of scenery is not always going to be doable, but I know when I get in a writing funk I need to go outside and see something different. Even a walk around the block energizes me enough to add a new scene to a WIP, or crank out a blog post. A trip to the mall gives me food for thought, even if I don't buy anything. So a trip to sunny southern California should really rev things up.
And when all else fails, I can lock myself up in my room without food or water. 

3 comments:

Joelle said...

I empathize, Patricia. I as well seem to be forever behind on goals. Having just found GRRWG, I'm not doing Winter Nano- although I do hope to do Camp Nano in July and Nanowrimo in November- I have plenty of other places I put my goals. I'm still trying to learn to balance professional writer with home educator, homemaker, and writer/educator/activist (those being my other 3 jobs) and it seems I fail at finding that balance more often than not.
Good for you to go to California. I'd love to escape our weather here. Not sure about Grand Rapids, but over here in Midland, we've had too much snow if you ask me :D

Patricia Kiyono said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Joelle. I won't be back in time for next week's meeting, but I hope to meet you soon!

Stephanie Michels, author said...

I'm gonna miss you, Patty, but have a great vacation....

And please don't lock yourself in your room! :)