Saturday, February 16, 2013

Is there such a thing as too many cookbooks?

I've been wondering that as I work on mixing together my own cookbook, requested by family and friends to be put together. I have plenty of tasters available for testing updated recipes, and have lined up several folks to test out the recipes and proof the final book.

Reaching into my own cookbook drawer this morning, I was thinking perhaps there is such a thing as too many cookbooks. I still have one from my 7th grade home ec class that has traveled through my many moves (19 so far) and from the West Coast to the MidWest. My grandmother's recipe card box made the last 3 moves as well. I don't use all the recipes from all those spots, I have my favorites, many of which will make it into my own cookbook, but still I wonder, how many is too many?

Amazon is full of newbie writers putting cookbooks up in hopes of getting noticed, I'm sure Barnes and Noble and many other sites have the same plethora of books. Mine isn't intended for the traditional route of an agent and a New York publishing outfit, which makes me curious if anyone besides my friends and family who've requested it will ever stumble across it and purchase it. It certainly won't be pricey, it will be the bare minimum that Amazon requires to also make it eligible for their CreateSpace Print-On-Demand offering, as my mother want's a physical copy so she can get it autographed.

I set a goal of June for myself, I'm already beginning to worry if I'll make it by then. I have lots to bake for a photo shoot, a cover to get done - with the help of my photographer - and editing and proofing galore. The one thing I don't worry about is having enough honest taste testers around.

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

After tasting some of your treats, I know your cookbook is going to be great! Good for you!

Carissa's Musings said...

I have close to 300...I have forgotten most of the german I learned so I usually have to facebook a friend and have her translate for me when I want good bavarian fare.