Friday, January 25, 2013

Still A Writer

I've been in my new/old job for almost a month now.  The job change was necessary financially but not exactly my first choice.  It's a job I've done before and one I knew I could do again.  It's also one that in theory should provide me with a little more writing time.  So far, however, I don't think I've done any writing outside of case notes, reports, emails between CPS workers, Foster Care workers, and lawyers.  I get in a few tweets here and there, but even those have been pretty slow lately.  I know it sounds weird, but I'm hoping that once I have a full caseload and can get back into the groove of it all, I'll be able to figure out where my writing can fit in.  Right now I only have half a case load so my schedule is just abnormal. :)

I see cute little quotes in blogs, on Facebook and on Pinterest that are supposed to motivate people like me to write.  Quotes that basically translate to "If you're not writing daily, then you're not a writer."  I suppose for some people that would be the kick in the ass they need to grow their word count, but not for me.  My theory is more like, "If you're not writing daily but you still love to write, and write when you can, you're being a responsible adult who simply doesn't have the time right now but you're still a writer as long as it's in your heart."

Of course I would love to be able to fit writing into every day.  But let's face it... I have responsibilities to attend to (like responsibilities that made me go back to a job I previously left), I have my health and chronic illness to consider, and sometimes writing just can't come first.  That doesn't make me less of a writer, or a writer who isn't serious about her craft.  It just makes me... me.

I feel like there are so many successful writers out there who honestly think they're trying to help budding writers but really all they end up doing is discouraging us. (Not including Neil Gaiman whose writing advice rocks my socks.) They make us feel like we're not giving enough to our writing if we really want to be successful at it.  But you know what?  Success comes in many different forms.

Success for me is writing something that I'm proud of, that I don't hate, and that I want to share with readers who I trust.  I realize that I won't find myself with the success of James Patterson anytime soon at this rate, but maybe I'm okay with that.  Perhaps the only kind of success I need is my own.

So write what you love, how you love to write it, and when you can. Find your own success, not someone else's.

What does your version of success look like? :)

Kel
http://coffeeandprozac.wordpress.com

No comments: