Saturday, January 19, 2013

Nourishing Creativity

By Lynn Doezema

I'm going to take a guess that 95% of the population does not readily love and embrace change. Maybe more since I can't say that I've ever met a change lover before.

I love my comfort zone. It's a plush blue, slightly worn recliner. Kick back, relax, and sip tea. I'm eyeing the hammock blowing slightly in the wind and sunshine outside, but, no I'll stick with my recliner. I shut the blinds.

But if I always write in my comfy blue recliner, I'll always write comfy blue recliner "stuff." I'll never write the romantic silken hammock story.

I can't decide whether artists are more open or more resistant to change. What I do know, is that change is imperative for creativity to breathe.

I don't necessarily think the change has to be a dramatic life changing event. I think the small changes add up.

Today I took a new route to Holland. That doesn't sound very exciting and yet it was inspiring in some odd way. I took in the new sights and sounds. I actually admired the scenery, rather than being so narrowly focused on a two lane road. I felt like my brain had been jolted out of hum-de-dum routine. A switch was flipped.

I also magically turned into a dark brunette this afternoon. I've always had fun changing my hair over the years, and I've noticed that it brings out a different side of myself. It zooms and refocuses from a different angle on my persona. As if I've channeled a fictional character, not one in particular, but maybe a new one percolating in the deep recesses of my mind.

It's important as writers to evolve, so our ideas stay fresh. I'm not sure how that can happen if our bodies and minds are stuck in the same routines, habits, inclinations, and so on. As much as I resist major change, I actually enjoy variety and itty bitty changes. I just never realized the impact they might be having on my muse.

Who knows what sort of ideas that Ethiopian dish, with it's combination of smell, texture and taste, might inspire in you.

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Great post, Lynn! You're absolutely right. Changing things up definitely is good for creativity. And I bet you saw some new and interesting things on your new route!