Friday, December 14, 2012

Beginnings, Endings and Everything in the Middle

Starting a new writing project is so exciting. My mind flits through all the ideas that could possibly fill the story - plastic Santas, a mechanical bull, an Elvis impersonator - which one will it be this time?

I dive into the project, raring to go and get words on the page. It goes well for a while. Crazy things are happening. Ceilings are falling in, cars are breaking down, women are going into labor. I fill pages with ease.

Then it comes to a screeching halt. I've hit the dreaded middle. I'm not sure where the story is going, how it's going to get there, and if a seniors' Zumba class is really possible. The story bumps along for a few thousand words like a car with a broken alternator, the engine is running, but the radio and the windshield wipers are wonky.

But as I get closer to the end, the excitement builds again. The subplots click together with the main plot. A dunk tank appears and everything moves swimmingly. I write faster too because I've finally established the story how the characters are supposed to feel when the ghostly lantern is unearthed from the tree roots.

The other reason I'm excited is that the current project is almost done and I can think about new characters and situations and canoe races and multi-level marketing schemes.

So what about you? What's your favorite - the beginning where everything is new, the middle where you are discovering the pieces, or the end where you can finally see the whole picture?

1 comment:

T L Doezema said...

The beginning! It's like the honeymoon phase of a new relationship.