Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Back to the Basics

by Andrea Dickinson

So, I'm finally getting down to business and writing the sequel to Baltimore Heat. I've had great responses from fans of the first book showing their enthusiasm for the second one. It even has a release date already.

It's taken me a while to get ready to write this second story. The major plot points have been floating around in my head for about a year, but I just hadn't been able to settle down to get anything on paper. In fact, at one point I was sure I had written some of it down, but when I checked my computer files, they were empty. LOL

So I have been going back to the basics of starting a new book. Filling in character worksheets. Finding images online of people who look like my characters. Researching pertinent topics (tight ends in football). Reading some craft articles to refresh myself. And finally, diving in to the first scene.

What do you do to prepare yourself for starting a new book?


Baltimore Heat is available as an ebook and in PRINT. 
It would make a great Christmas present!
Available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

3 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I try to get a decent conflict, then envision the characters and write an outline. But I usually end up diving in before the planning is done. Congrats on your sequel!

WS Gager said...

I'm a diver! I have a few characters and the opening scene in my head with just an idea and then it all pours out. Getting ready to take the plunge on a brand new one myself. Good Luck Andrea!
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

Andrea Dickinson said...

Thanks, ladies! Good luck with your writing too! I am celebrating all your recent successes with you. ;-)