Wednesday, October 10, 2012

It's the 10th!

by Suzanne Graham

EEEK! It's the 10th day of the month, which means it's my day to share my infinite writing knowledge or maybe provide some writing tips to snack on or at least give you a funny little writing story to lighten your day.

Hmmmmm...I got nothun'.

What I do have is a recommendation to all writers to subscribe to Writer's Digest magazine. I've been a subscriber for a number of years, and I can't believe how many times it show up in my mailbox with the exact cover story that fits where I am that month. Here's the Table of Contents for the latest print issue.

The best story for me in this issue has been "Overcoming Writer's Block Without Willpower" by Mike Bechtle. I hate the phrase "writer's block", and I hardly ever use it. I understand that my lack of productivity has much more to do with not making mental space and conserving mental energy to allow my creativity to blossom. Bechtle put a slightly different spin on it, by pointing out how distractions in our lives rob us of the concentration needed to be creative.

I love his practical advice under "Brain-Friendly Ways to Handle Distractions", especially this one: "Replace your afternoon coffee break with a 20-minute nap. Researchers have discovered that our brains need a short rest period in the middle of the day for maximum performance. It renews our energy more than caffeine, snacks or energy drinks."

SWEET! Research proves I need to take a nap everyday.

Excuse me while I go catch a couple zzzzzs.

The complete Profortuna series is now available at Resplendence PublishingAll Romance EbooksBarnes & Nobles, and Amazon.


2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I love Writer's Digest, too! Great resource. And I love the advice about naps. Wish I could squeeze that in more often.

Tess Grant said...

I've got this month's issue; I just haven't made the time to look at it. Since I'm having a horrible time finishing up this MS, maybe I should!