Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How to get your child interested in Reading


Hello everyone! I hope all is well with you. My name is Lisa Orchard and I’m a Young Adult Author. This is my first time blogging on the GGRWG site and I’m excited to be here. J


When I was thinking about my topic for the day I thought about a post that I had done on my own blog about four or five months ago. It was a topic that received quite a few views so I thought I would share it with everyone here today. J


When I found out I was pregnant with my first child, I was ecstatic! I started making plans right away about what kind of parent I wanted to be and all that motherly stuff that I’m sure all new mothers go through.


One of the main things that I wanted to do was create a desire for reading in my child. After all, reading improves social and analytical skills along with building self-esteem. Of course, I wanted my child to have high self-esteem, what parent doesn’t?


So, I took the bull by the horns and started reading to my son before bedtime. We would rock in the rocking chair and I’d read nursery rhymes. My little tyke would be lulled into sleep mode. I would finish the story and put him in his crib, where he would promptly scream bloody murder. L So, I’d have to get him out of bed, because what parent can listen to a screaming child for any length of time? Certainly not me. J
 

My wonderful plan had backfired. My son could care less about the story; he just wanted to be rocked. J The joke was on mom! J

Never the less, I continued reading and rocking my baby. And when my second child was born I read to him too, without the rocking. J

We continue this habit today, but it’s changed; now my sons read to me. It’s fun to see what their interests are. They range from the weather, to dinosaurs…and even Transformers.


Now, I can handle the weather and even spiders, but Transformers? Give me a break! J But because my sons are interested in them I bought some Transformer books and I’ve got to say I’ve either read them or heard them a million times.

I know everything about the Decepticons and the Autobots and the fall of Cybertron. Do I really care about these things? Not one wit, but my children do and if it keeps them reading I’m all for it. And here’s the thing, my youngest was reading to himself before he started school. I attribute this to his strong drive to learn, but also to the Transformers that became his passion during this phase of his life.


So, when my son pulls out that Transformer book full of anticipation, because now he can read to me, and I’m cringing inside because I know the story by heart. I take a deep breath and paste a fake smile on my face, because I realize that maybe by reading that story one more time I’m saving myself future grief and money. Yes, because reading builds self-esteem, it’s been proven. J So, I think of all the money I’m saving on future therapy bills just because I endured that story a million times. J


So, encourage your child to read and the most successful way to do this is by letting them read what they want. It really is that simple. J And if you’ve got a tween/teen who still isn’t interested in reading check out my Super Spies series. I’ve had readers turn off the TV to read these books. J

The links are below.
 

“The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer”

 


 

“The Super Spies and the High School Bomber”
 

 


 

You can find me at these social media sites:
 


 


Thanks for stopping by! Leave a comment and tell me about your parenting experiences! I’d love to hear about them! J

3 comments:

Kelsey St. James said...

Welcome, Lisa! :)

Anonymous said...

Love it. Reading is so important- especially reading together in the evening. Its not always about the stories but the connection that is built. And I like that you posted your stories as well.

lisaorchard said...

Thanks for the kind Welcome Kelsey! And thanks for the words of encouragement Anonymous! They're greatly appreciated! :) I hope you both have a great weekend!