Saturday, August 25, 2012

"Just keep swimming..."


I saw this little gem today on Facebook.  It's something that I need to add to my mantra and maybe post on multiple walls in my house.  Heck, maybe I need to tattoo it on my body! :)

I managed to get over my writing funk, at least partially.  That's awesome, but my weekly word count is still much lower than I wish it was.  See, I had this bright idea that I was going to write a novella that would be submitted somewhere when it was finished.  But I also had the not so bright idea to challenge myself and write it in third person. Yeah, yeah I know all about how people say you HAVE to write in third person in order to get published... whatever.  But the fact of the matter is that I generally write in first person.  It's what I love and what I'm comfortable with.  So instead of busting this novella out like I normally would with a new story, I open it up and struggle with it.  Every. Single. Time.

I've thought about going back and rewriting what I have, but that's just a big pain in the ass that frankly I'm too lazy to do. :)   Plus it's not like I can't write in third person, I just don't like to.  So I keep on working on it, slowly but surely. Very slowly. The important part is that I haven't given up, right?

So what do you do when you're stuck on something you're writing?

1 comment:

J.C. Hanks said...

I either go country dancing with Andrea, hit a local gay hot spot, or my all time favorite: watch our local Drag Queens rock a runway. Queens are just so full of color and life and energy that they get me all revved up again.