Tuesday, August 14, 2012

If, not when...

They say it will happen. It's an if, not a when.

So after four days of rebuilding my computer after a malware attack, please remember to backup your files.

I was lucky. I lost very little, mostly because I've been extremely lazy the last few weeks. What I did lose, I probably didn't need anyway, although I could have done without the day of freaking out because nothing would load. (Tip: When it says remove all USB devices, it means your mouse too. If this had occurred to me sooner, I would have saved twenty-four hours computer wrangling.)

After I was able to get Windows to run, I was able to recover some of my files using a program called Recuva. (Tuck this name away for when you need it.) I also recovered some pictures of my daughter's first haircut and the kids doing a puzzle with my mom that I forgot about.

So here's your friendly reminder, back up your files however you want, just do it more often than every six months.

4 comments:

Joselyn Vaughn said...

LOL. Just realized I wrote the title and first line backwards. Should be When, not if.

Shows what rebuilding your computer does to you.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I wondered about that. We all have our days! Thanks for the reminder.

J.C. Hanks said...

External hard drives are your best friend!

Cheryl said...

Carbonite. Well worth the $5.00 per month.