Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bloggy Blog Blog

It’s time for my monthly post and once again I have nothing planned.  Not only that, but my word count this month is so low I’m not even going to bother to pull out the jump drive to see exactly what the count is.  I haven’t written in what feels like forever.  It’s probably been just a week or so but to me that equals a long damn time considering how much I had been writing.  Then on top of barely writing I had to miss this month’s GRRWG meeting because it was my birthday weekend and I had too much stuff to do, so I haven’t even been around my writerly peeps!  Well, except for Twitter, of course.
I have been reading so I guess if anything I can say I’m researching, right?  *Just smile and nod, smile and nod.* Right now I’m on a YA series about fallen angels.  It’s by Lauren Kate and for the most part it’s a decent series.  I’m on book three of five (Fallen, Torment, Passion, Fallen In Love, Rapture). 
One thing I’ve noticed since joining GRRWG is that I look at not only my own writing differently but books as well.  I’ve mentioned in my Goodreads reviews of these books that they’re way too long and include whole chapters that have nothing whatsoever to do with the plot.  That’s not to say they’re bad chapters, but they make the story much longer and sometimes are confusing because afterward I’m left thinking, “What the hell was that all about?”
I can only hope that the things that bug me most about other writers are things that I myself don’t do to my own readers.  I cringe in thinking about the day I’ve got something on Goodreads that I wrote and people can review it and say what they disliked about it.  Of course, being on Goodreads would also mean that I’m published (yay!) and that people can say what they DO like about my work… but what can I say? I tend to focus on the negative, it’s what I do. :)
In other non writing news, Gramps is hanging in there and doing well. He has his good days and bad days, of course.   Next week my mom is taking him up north to the city where he was born and where his little brother lives, so that’ll be cool.  It’ll also give me a few days to just relax and maybe write! 
Anywho… I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and staying cool in this awful heat we’ve had.  I myself have found out that an old brick farmhouse with no air conditioning is not exactly a fun place to be this summer. :)
Happy writing!
Kel

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patricia Kiyono said...

I am so glad your grandfather is doing better! Life is always so much easier when the people you love are okay.

I agree, reading with a critical eye for what you like and don't like make you wonder about your own writing. Hopefully it makes you a better writer. And yes, reading is important for a writer, whether it's for research or for a break from your own characters!