Tuesday, July 17, 2012

30 Shades of Marriage

Yes, what a cheap shot, using a 30 Shades reference to get your attention. 

Today is my monthly day to blog.  I picked the 17th because "L" and I were married on the 17th.  Awww, you say.  And it happens that today is our 30th anniversary.  Double Awww.

What's the secret?  Damned if I know.  Love.  Humor.  Respect.  We are total opposites.  I want to rest on vacations, he wants to go.  I like my own little world, he is Mr. Hey-How-Are-You-Doing?  I'm a night person, he sings when he gets up at stupid o'clock in the morning.  Sings!
I love to make him laugh.  If I can say something that doubles him over and makes him gasp for breath, my day is complete.  (Sounds a little sick, doesn't it?).  He likes to pick my brain.  I'm his source for weird and strange facts and opinions about subjects I've never considered.

Our opinions vary, but our values never do.  Maybe that's the secret.

30 years.  Lots of changes.  We've gone from Whoppers and Snicker bars each night and three gallons of milk a week to an almost vegetarian diet (I'm the holdout) and more awareness of our health.  Or maybe we're just older and we're trying to stay one step ahead of the Grim Reaper.

Next month, we start another chapter in our marriage.  We've sold our condo and sold, donated or trashed almost all our belongings.  On the 9th, we begin the 2012 Aloha Road Trip.  We drive to California where we'll drop off the car to be shipped to Honolulu, our new home.

My blog for August will be written from the Aloha State.  See you then!




1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Talk about your Great Adventure! How wonderful that you're in this together. Bon voyage, and keep in touch!