Friday, June 1, 2012

Remembering...


This week we in the United States observed Memorial Day. Most of relaxed with a day off from work, perhaps getting together with family. Many of us remembered loved ones, especially those who served our country by serving in various branches of the military.
I remembered two soldiers who fought for their country, even though the citizens of that country didn't always recognize their status as American citizens. My dad, Robert, and his brother, James, joined the US Army right out of high school and served in both World War II and Korea. Uncle Jim stayed in the army afterward, rising to the rank of Major, before retiring and working for Army Intelligence. Dad returned to Grand Rapids, MI and became an accountant, and later on founded and managed a local credit union.
I've always been proud to be related to these two men. Their courage and loyalty are traits we can all be thankful for. They've been my inspiration for more than one story I've written. And I miss them both fiercely.

Patty Kiyono

No comments: