Monday, June 11, 2012

Gifts Just for Me


Goals are gifts I give myself. I usually set my goals around specific, measurable areas in my life I want to improve. I have daily and weekly goals, annual, three-to-five year goals and stretch goals. But I recently found an intriguing list entitled “546 Goals” that my mom gave me a few months ago. The list was in a folder I’d stashed in my paper box, unread, when I was organizing around the house. 

Just what I need are more goals. 

I glanced at the list and began reading. 

Improve the quality of my home life. Reduce what I am tolerating at work. Allow one day out of each month to do something I really want to do.

These are the kinds of ideas that would expand my life a little bit, not necessarily measurable, but if I implemented any of them, my life would be better. I kept reading. Grabbing a highlighter, I left a series of orange stripes representing inspiring ideas I wanted to implement. Out of 546, I chose 40. Too many.
Ten ways to improve my life over the next few months could be do-able but honestly I’d need a magic wand to implement 40. Some things will require thought, my journal and a pen, then awareness. Many of the ideas had never occurred to me, and that makes me happy. I’d like to expand my thinking and get out of my daily rut. My favorites are the ones that are just for me. 

Here goes:   
  1. Take more chances
  2. Spend more time in the garden
  3. Easily ask for what I want
  4. Let go of the people in my life who drain my energy
  5. Allow one day out of each month to do something I really want to do
  6. Keep the gas tank in my vehicle at least half full at all times
  7. Always arrive early and never feel rushed
  8. Define the top ten qualities I am looking for in a soul mate
  9. Become fearless
  10. Understand what drives and motivates me

Each night before I go to sleep, I spend time reading ten pages of a good book (something motivational and inspiring), I look at my day and identify what worked best for me and what can be changed, I plan for the following day and I journal. I’ll work these ideas into the mix. At the very least, I’d like to eliminate driving to the gas station with my tank running on fumes. My habit of adding “just one more thing”, whether it’s a phone call, email, errand or conversation, leaves me rushing to be on time. These ideas are gifts I’m giving myself. 

In the list of 546 goals, I’m secretly going for goal number 474. Enjoy Life More.

3 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Sounds like a great list! I agree, 40 is too many to try at one time. I like the ones you chose. Good luck!

Kelsey St. James said...

Sounds like a really nice list. :)

Bronwyn Green said...

I love the idea of a goal being a gift you give yourself. This is awesome. I think you've chosen great ones! But I can't help being super curious about the other 536! :D