Friday, May 11, 2012

Mirror Mirror


Why are mirrors part of fantasy and fairy tales? From the mirror in Snow White, proclaiming the fairest in the land, to the looking glass in Alice in Wonderland, mirrors draw us in to imagine more behind the glass. When we look in the mirror, we don’t even see ourselves as others do, we see the mirror image, kind of an opposite of how we look to others. 

Who do we see as we gaze at our reflection? Sometimes I see my physical form, my hair as I brush it or pulled back as I get ready to wash my face, or a close-up of my eyelid as I apply eye shadow or mascara. Other days I see myself as a mom, an employee, a sister, a daughter, a friend. I’m laughing, smiling, frowning, talking.
Looking in the mirror gives me the chance to figure out where I want to go. Shedding my different roles, I want to see myself exactly as I am, and that gives me a road map for where I want to go, how I want to be. If I want to see a writer in my reflection, I can figure out what actions I need to take. I can take my mental writer’s cap from the closet and wear it, focusing on what I need to do to be that person. 

Mirrors can be magic if we use them to see our potential. Leave the judgment and distortion behind. The time is now – if you don’t see the reflection of everything you want in your life, gently discard what doesn’t work and embrace what you need. Being the fairest in the land isn’t just about physical beauty, but the beauty of your life. You are the fairest in the land. Indeed.

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Beautifully put, Sharon. Before we can become what we want to be, we need to know what we're starting with.

Suzanne Graham said...

OMG! That picture took me immediately back to my childhood. I had it hanging on my wall. Brought back so much emotion. I am such a visual person.