Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorable Movies for Memorial Day


Today is Memorial Day. A day when we celebrate the brave men and women who gave their lives in service to our country. A day of parades and parties, beer and bratwurst. A day when we can put off the I-don't-want-to-go-back-to-work blues for one more precious day. It is a day when we gather around barbecues and bonfires with family and friends (and the above mentioned beer) or curl up on the couch and watch a good movie. My father is particularly fond of Band of Brothers. For this Memorial Day, I would like to share with you, in no particular order, five of my favorite patriotic movies.
1. The Patriot. Despite the fact that Mel Gibson is crazy, I really like this movie. Of course, Jason Isaacs and Heath Ledger might have had something to do with it.
2. 1776. What can I say, I love a good musical.
3. Captain America: The First Avenger. What’s more American than a man in tights beating up Nazis? Err…
4. My Fellow Americans. A true mark of our freedom is the ability to poke fun at our own government.
5. What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? Have you seen this movie? It’s flipping hilarious!
As you can see, I’m not the huge fan of gritty WWII movies that my dad is. But whatever you decide to do or watch on this Memorial Day, remember to give a thought to the real heroes this day commemorates and to those who are currently serving our country. To those brave men and woman, I say a fond "thank you" for your sacrifice and your service.
 
Emily Siler

No comments: