Saturday, May 5, 2012

Librarians Solve Mysteries Every Day--So cool!


By W.S. Gager
On April 21 I was happy to participate in a really neat program through Sisters in Crime called Booksellers and Librarians Solve Mysteries Every Day. The program is part of the 25th Anniversary of the Sisters organization whose mission is to promote the professional development and advancement of women crime writers to achieve equality in the industry. This is a great organization and if you write any type of mystery you should be a member. But I digress...
The event was to showcase how in my case libraries solve mysteries every day. I spent two hours in the downtown Jackson Carnegie Library hanging out in the mystery section. I dusted shelves, talked to patrons and had a ball. I helped a high schooler find biographies for a book report. I suggested books to patrons looking for new mystery authors. That was fun but the highlight was when the library employee checked out my book to read. I came across it by accident when looking for another author. I thought they were shelved somewhere else in an area designed for local authors.


All the library people were so friendly, helpful and we just had great fun talking about books. Talk about a dream job! Another great thing was I was given a behind the scenes tour of the building. The downtown branch is an old building with a marble staircase with letters of the alphabet on each step for kids to sing as they climb to the children’s area. It has a fantastic fireplace with a copper hood. The other cool thing was a spiral staircase that goes to each floor that is only available for employees. They can travel from floor to floor without any patrons seeing. Cool huh? Stay tuned. That has my interest peaked and I think Mitch Malone with have to solve the Case of the Spiral Staircase just like one of my favorite Nancy Drew mysteries, The Hidden Staircase.

In the afternoon I spent time at the Meijer Branch in Jackson which had a very different clientele. It was families coming in for books and they were just finishing a book sale from donations. People were filling bags of books for a dollar. It was fun to see what they got. I also got to color with some kids. Fun.

Overall my day at showcasing that librarians solve mysteries was so much fun I would do it ever Saturday. The next time you are in a library. Thank those great people behind the desk. They are fun and love books. What more could you ask for?

W.S. Gager has lived in Michigan for most of her life except when she was interviewing race car drivers or professional woman's golfers. She enjoyed the fast-paced life of a newspaper reporter until deciding to settle down and realized babies didn't adapt well to running down story details on deadline. Since then she honed her skills on other forms of writing before deciding to do what she always wanted with her life and that was to write mystery novels. Her main character is Mitch Malone who is an edgy crime-beat reporter always on the hunt for the next Pulitzer and won't let anyone stop him, supposedly.

1 comment:

Stephanie Michels, author said...

What a beautiful place! I'm intrigued by the Sisters in Crime group. Where do they meet?

Go Mitch!