Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Funk Removed

Last time I blogged here, I was eyeballs-deep in a nasty writing funk. I had no motivation, no desire, very little love for writing. And the whole time I was furious with myself. I mean, I have the best job in the world. I get to sit around and make stuff up. Who wouldn't love that?

But for a while, I didn't.

I was fried and there was a whole lotta "what's the point" feelings.

But then something awesome happened.

I went to the Romantic Times conference. It's only the second one I've attended, but it was fantastic. I had an awesome time and I hung out with people who made me remember why I loved writing in the first place. I met some other people who actually love what I write. Not only that, they want more!

I don't know, this may make me sound needy, but there's something gratifying to have people like what you create. Not just your friends and family, but perfect strangers.

By the second day of the conference, I actually felt like I could finish the book I'd stalled out on for so long. (Spoiler Alert: I totally did)

By day three, I was considering pitching the "book of my heart" to agents and editors at the pitch sessions. But, I'd almost talked myself out of it, because that nasty hag, self-doubt was coming back. But my wonderful friends talked me back into and I thought, "What the hell - I did pay almost 500 bucks to be here. Might as well."

Here's the weird thing, I wasn't nervous at all. I think it was because I really felt like I had nothing to lose at that point. I've never had pitches go so well. I mean, never. Out of four pitches, I had four requests. Granted, one was sorta "meh" about it, so I won't be sending it to her. The other three were very interested, and one of them was downright excited about my project.

I think I really needed to recharge and get out of my own head for a while. And writing conferences are a great way to do that. Sometimes you just need extended periods of being with your own kind.





3 comments:

J.C. Hanks said...

Yay! Welcome back to your joy! :)

Kelsey St. James said...

So happy you're out of your funk! ;)

Tess Grant said...

Yay! Go get 'em.