Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Dog Ate My Homework - er -- My Blog Post

Okay, so I was supposed to blog on the 3rd.  I knew it, I planned to do it, and I even started my post.

So, why on May FOURTH is my post still not up there?

I could make up a really convincing story (after all, I am a fiction writer) about computer troubles, losing power in last night's thunderstorm, or even a tale that Sophie, my helpful Yorkie, hit the off button on Mama's computer before she had saved her work.

I could do that, but I won't.  Instead, I'll tell the truth which is a combination of several things.

First, I decided to indulge myself with some relaxing reading after four long days working on numbers and reports (obviously, I still haven't figured out how this retirement gig is supposed to work yet).
Next, a couple of phone calls from friends distracted me -- although one of the callers did help me gel the idea for a short novella I need to write.

As a result of that, I ended up on my iPad, typing out some story ideas before they vanished into that infinite abyss where great story ideas escape to if we don't write them down.  Man, I can't tell you how many times a wonderful idea or bit of dialogue popped in my head, and I thought "Oh, I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."  Wrong!  So, last night, having learned from my past mistakes, I jotted down my ideas.

Which resulted in me looking at the date today and feeling like the dinosaurs in the picture above.

But you know what?  I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Instead, I'll be grateful for my blessings: that I have a job that gives me extra pin (or in my case shoe) money, that I have good friends who will brainstorm with me, and that I captured my story idea -- YES!

So instead of feeling like those dinosaurs, I'll post this (even though it is late) and take a lesson from Charlie Brown and Snoopy.

Want to join me in a Happy Dance?

Keep Writing,
~ Stephanie

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Funny, how the things we think we're going to remember get lost in the shuffle inside our brains. But no, we're not getting older! Haha. Try to get some rest.