Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pulling Out of a Writing Funk

I've been in a writing funk for months. I made the mistake of writing too many books last year.

I know, you're probably thinking, how could writing too many books be a bad thing?

The problem is I got burned out.

Badly.

And now I'm having trouble making forward progress on anything more complicated than a grocery list. And some days, even that's a bit taxing. I'm sure it'll pass. I'm sure I'll get my writing mojo back. I certainly hope so, anyway. I've got contracts to fulfill.

It's not that the ideas aren't there. They're rattling around constantly, but when I look at that cursor, everything vanishes from my head. I've tried changing location. I've tried writing longhand. I've tried writing something not related to what I'm supposed to be writing. I've journaled, talked to friends and thrown things in fits of frustration, but the word could has remained the same.

I apologize for the whiny, self-indulgent nature of this post, but I do want to remind anyone who might be reading this not to kill yourself and your creativity trying to build a backlist too quickly. Find joy in the creation of your stories. Don't lose sight of all the things that drew you to writing in the first place.

And I'll try to do the same. 


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Get outside. It's nice weather, it may not last.
Try some other creative outlet. Draw chalk outlines on the sidewalk. Make some dolls and arrange them in compromising positions (I saw this once at an open house. I hope it was the people ahead of us and not the owners). Write a threatening letter to the celebrity you hate the most.
Your mojo will return. It out smelling the daffodils, but soon it will look up and ask, "What happened to Bronwyn?"

Cheryl said...

IT'S out smelling the daffodils. Jeez, maybe I've lost my spelling mojo.

Patricia Kiyono said...

Cheryl had some great ideas. And you're a creative person in other ways. Sew something, cross stitch, or try something new. Read something that you're not editing!

But anyway, you're entitled to a breather. Enjoy.

t said...

That's some interesting advice...not to kill myself building a backlist. So many times I feel I write too slowly, and I often hear the only way to sell books is to have a backlist. I think I'll take it to heart and enjoy my tortoise's pace.

Hang in there!

Tess Grant said...

Hah! that t. would be me...I guess my tortoise's pace didn't apply to typing in comments.

Bronwyn Green said...

Thanks guys. I'm working on getting out of my funk - slowly but surely.