Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day by Day

For the last few weeks, I’ve been tracking my behaviors and actions. Not all of them, but several in areas that are important to me. I’m working on identifying triggers that lead me to either doing or not doing certain things. Some of my behaviors/actions from the past weeks are:

1. Follow my plan of giving my body good stuff to eat and drink

2. Spend according to budget

3. Workout – both aerobic and strengthening

4. Stretch

5. Write 20 minutes a day

6. 96 oz water throughout the day

7. Golden Hour (read 10 pages of a good book, review goals, review day and plan for the next day)

8. Review with my son (school work etc.)

These behaviors all are important to me and yet, it’s amazing how many other things I do that don’t support these actions. Why am I bothering with all this? I’m at the point that if I say something is important I want to make it happen. Or else – just let it go. Or perhaps – just put it on the back burner for awhile so I don’t feel the burden of guilt.

After a couple weeks of tracking, I’m back on track (so to speak) with my budget, exercise, water and reviewing with my son. Golden Hour is hit or miss, depending on how tired I am at the end of the day, yet I know how much more focused I am when I stick with it.

Getting into the rhythm of these daily actions made me realize something else. I’m not looking to achieve perfection the first day. I feel like I’m learning a new dance. The basic steps are coming easier and I’m adding in new twists and turns as I go. When I review my day, I’m not looking for self-judgment or guilt, rather it’s important for me to focus on making adjustments.

These aren’t my originals ideas. I just finished the book, The Compound Effect, by Darren Hardy. In his opening chapters he gives several profound examples of people who made small daily changes – for both better and worse – and where they ended up months and years later. I decided I wanted to make the small daily changes for the better. I’ll see where I end up a year from now!

“The rhythm of daily action aligned with your goals creates the momentum that separates dreamers from super-achievers.” ~ Darren Hardy (www.TheCompoundEffect.com)

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Interesting. I agree, if something is important enough to me I'll make the time. Since I made a commitment to myself to write 750 words each day I've gotten a lot more done in that area. When I decide exercise is important, I make that happen. But right now it's not a priority, though I know it should be.