Friday, February 24, 2012

Adventures in Self Publishing by Arianna Skye

By Arianna Skye:


Just last week, I re-released my first published novel. I did heavy research on what to do and how to get my book back out there. Here's what I did, for anyone who wants to pursue the self-publishing option.

1. Hire a cover artist. I got a totally kick ass cover for less than$200. This included the POD cover as well.

2. Hire an editor. There are tons of freelance editors out there that are willing to edit your manuscript. Prices can vary, but most are pretty reasonable. And I'm serious. YOU NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO EDIT YOUR BOOK (Caps absolutely intended). Even if you are the grammar queen, you should always have a 2nd (or a 3rd) pair of eyes read over and edit your work.

3. Hire someone to format your book. It only cost me $50 dollars to have someone format my eBook, including hyperlinks and a table of contents. However, if you want to do it yourself, Smashwords creator, Mark Coker has a great formatting guide you can follow.

4. Market yourself. Set up blog tours, make a book trailer, tweet or FB the hell out of yourself. Your efforts will not go unnoticed!

5. Get your book out to review sites. This might seem like a lot of work, but there's a great site called Manic Readers. They have a tool called "The Review Depot." You can upload your book and send it to multiple review sites at the same time. You can even check status of the book you submitted as well. Otherwise, don't be afraid to ask around. Use Google to search for sites that review in your genre. Most sites have easy instructions for submitting books for review. Using Manic Readers and Google, it took me less than an hour to submit my book to various sites.

6. Advertising, if you can afford it, is always important. There are several book blogs that have opportunities for you. And most aren't that expensive either.

7. I also suggest getting ISBNS for your books. Some online retailers require that your book have an ISBN. Smashwords gives you a free ISBN if you need it. Createspace, Amazon's print self-published line will also give you a free ISBN for print. However, some other retailers need ISBNs. I ended up buying 10 ISBNs in bulk, so I can assign ISBNs to other projects I complete in the future. Buying the bulk package is a better deal than buying just one individually. Basically it's like you're buying two ISBNs and getting the other eight free. Note, you usually need an ISBN for each version (ie: digital, print, audio, app, etc).

I'll tell you, I've only had this book up for a week at various book sites, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords. I've already surpassed my entire year of royalties from my previous publisher.

However, I've also put a bit of money into this venture... so we'll wait and see how it all pans out.

For those interested in checking out WINGS OF DESIRE:

Not your (grand)mother's fairytale...

Rhiannon Kinsley's ready to call the men in white coats when an intriguingly sexy man appears and insists she's a faerie princess. Cerne Silverwing has a duty to save his kingdom. He needs Rhiannon to be his consort and help defeat the Dark Faerie Queen. Can these two discover that their true destiny lies together?



Available now at these fine retailers:

Amazon Kindle
B&N Nook
Smashwords
All Romance eBooks
Print(CreateSpace)

10 comments:

Cathy Stewart said...

Really great information, Sidney! I've got some PRO members of my local chapter who are considering self-pug. This is well-done. Congratulations on your success!

Kara Ashley Dey said...

Bookmarked. Great information! Thanks for sharing.
-Kara

Michal Scott said...

Arianna,

Thank you so much for this information. It's wonderfully detailed and perhaps the best I've seen on the subject. I sure would like to hear from you how things progress. Also, thanks for making your book available for Kindle. : )

Anna T.S. aka Michal Scott

Callie said...

Nicely done. The trailer is great, and I love the cover. Good luck with Wings of Desire, and thanks for sharing the info on your self-pub adventure.

Peg Cochran said...

Great article! I'm headed straight to Manic Readers to check out their reviewing service!

Sidney Ayers said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I should add this caveat: This is strictly my experience as a newbie. That being said, anyone interested in pursuing the self-publishing route, I suggest researching it. Also, there's a great yahoo group I've just discovered. It's located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selfpublish. I'd have included it in the blog, but I already published it before I joined. It's a great resource for those interested and those already self-published.

Mary said...

This was very interesting. Can you share some or one of the editors you used? Are they costly? How much help do they give? And I have already purchased your story. It's next on my list TBR.

Kylie Frost said...

Hi Sydney, I find this very interesting and am thrilled you are sharing your process. The times sure are changing. I hope you'll keep us updated.

Kylie Frost said...

I forgot to add - your cover looks great!

Renee Vincent said...

Thanks for the great information, Sidney! And I love the cover and premise for this book! I am so excited for you and I wish you much success!!!