Sunday, January 8, 2012

Television Writing

Do you remember what families used to be like several years ago? When I was growing up, I remember how I'd go to school and race home to tell my mom about my day. Then, we'd make dinner and sit down and eat as a family at the diner table. Afterward, there would be time to play outside, complete homework, and then sit down as a family and enjoy watching a good television program.

How I miss the television programs of the past. Do you remember the following programs:
Cheers
Home Improvement
The Bill Cosby Show
Life Goes On
Seinfeld
Family Matters
Alf
Boy Meets World
Friends
These are programs that almost everyone loved.

In regards to television programs and movies of today, it seems the writing has changed. Now, don't get me wrong, there are several good programs. It just seems the writing overall isn't as good as it used to be.

Look at the movies that are made today. Most of the movies are quickly written, produced, and sent to the theaters by Hollywood. Many of the stories have been retold over and over. For example, Spiderman, Little Red Riding Hood, Footloose, etc. are movies that keep being remade. Many movies, if not retold, are also created from novels. Examples are the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, and Nicholas Sparks books. Some of these stories are told in a very positive and enjoyable way. But some tales just don't stand out as an exceptional story.

Especially focusing on this new year, I hope writers who are trying to make their mark in the world, telling a good story in a new light, are able to become published and noticed. Though I don't mind some of the television programs or the movies that are occasionally produced, I wish we could become more family oriented with a positive and inspiring message for the younger generations. Or more so, I wish writers who have a story to tell with a different way of telling the story, are published. A new year, a fresh tale, and lots of remarkable programs would be great.

To those who continue writing and striving to become published, please don't give up. It's stories like yours that we need to hear. :)

Happy Writing!

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Sounds like you watched a lot of the same programs I did. And I miss them, too. I don't watch nearly as much television any more because of the reasons you listed. Here's hoping for some great writing this year - on the air, online, and on paper!