Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Organize, 0rg@n1z3, organ----what?


If you’re like most writers, you’re never without a notebook nearby to jot down that amazing idea that will propel you into Stephen Kingville or Amanda Hockingtown.
Between writing, working full time, shutting down a house and planning phase two of my career, I’m besieged with things to do.  My list grows longer every day.  The trouble is, I’m not very good at organizing them in one failsafe place.  When I’m at work, I scratch everything down on scrap paper and shove the list into my purse.  When I’m at home, I’m too busy to remember I had a list.  Consequently, I write it down again the next day and the day after.
I’ve tried using a smaller notebook where I can divide my ideas into WIP, write reminders for Cheryl, Inc. and Sterling, Inc., but the notebook is one more brick to cram in my purse (alongside my Kindle, twelve store cards, gum, seven dollars in quarters and the vitamins I forget to take). 
I recently bought an app for my iPad.  It’s similar to a bulletin board in that you can stick virtual Post its to it.  I had great hopes for this system.  Different colors for different parts of my life.  Headings of “Today”, “Tomorrow”, “Soon”, and “Later.”  The problem is, I don’t always have my iPad with me, and I don’t want to start carrying it around (another brick).
Recently, our writing group had a discussion about Scrivener, which I’ve owned for a couple of years but never used much.  After the pros and cons were weighed, I went back into the program and pulled together all the odd notes, the scraps of paper, the website url’s, etc. and added them to the scant notes I had in Scrivener.  I'm amazed at what I now have for each story.  It’s a great tool, and I plan on using it for every project I’m working on, writing related or not.
Now, if I could just solve the scraps of paper in my purse dilemma…
How do you keep track of everything going on in your life?

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I have resigned myself to the fact that I have never been, and never will be, totally organized. Like you, I use Scrivener to keep my writing ideas organized. And thanks to the "notes" feature on my phone and ipad, I can keep other bits of information handy. I have bags for each activity I do on a regular basis - a quilting bag, a GVSU bag, and a writers group bag. Scrapbooking is more of a pile. And that's about all I can handle. Don't worry - your recent "purging" will probably keep you more organized than the rest of us!

T L Doezema said...

An itty bitty note pad to jot down ideas, and luckily doesn't take up much space in my purse. And a medium sized planner that always stays in my work tote bag, although it ends up pretty gross by the end of the year with food and coffee stains. I'm still a WIP.