Friday, January 20, 2012

Never give up. Never surrender.


That video clip is from one the most best Sci-Fi lampoons of all time, Galaxy Quest. While that line might not be as revered in cult-classic circles as Alan Rickman's "By Grapthar's Hammer," it's what's motivating me to meet all my goals this month, even if not in a timely fashion.

Case in point, this post. I didn't actually post it on the 20th of January. I'm posting it from the future, on the 21st. See, I made a goal this month to make all of my blogging commitments. I won't miss a single Wednesday post at Three Wicked Writers Plus Two. I'll keep up with my personal blogs that are currently active (though I'm not quite ready to commit to daily posting), and I have an unusually high volume of guest blogs to pump out this month, including one on the 26th at Reading For A Cure, which is such an amazing idea and I really encourage everyone to check it out and become involved, if possible.

I've digressed from my original point. I've made it a goal to make all these commitments, because I'm guilty of seeing blogging as just this thing you maybe might do if you have the time. But it's a vital part of a writer's career these days. But even though I set that goal, twice now there have been times when, through habit and laziness, I've forgotten to do my blogging. This is one of those times.

While it would be easy for me to blow things off and say, "Ah, I've already messed up, I might as well just give up," I'm not going to do that this time. I'm not going to give up, I'm not going to surrender. First of all, I don't need to feel Captain Taggart's disappointment in me. Yes, it's imaginary disappointment, but I assure you, it would crush me. Second, I don't need to disappoint myself. Only I can achieve my goals, and every one of them, even something that seems as small and extraneous as blogging, has to be important to me. Otherwise, it's not a goal, it's a thing that I might do sometimes if I have a minute and I think about it.

So, I'm not giving up, I'm not surrendering, and I'm making this blog post a day late and fudging my time stamp, because if I've learned anything from Galaxy Quest, it's that you can have absolutely no idea what you're doing and mess up countless times and still come out on top. That was the moral I was supposed to take away from that movie, right?

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Oookaaayy. So I'm glad you have something that keeps you motivated. And I'm glad you figured out how to fudge the time stamp so that you wouldn't have to feel that imaginary disappointment. Your posts are always entertaining. Rock on.

Tess Grant said...

By Grapthar's Hammer, I think you just wanted to get Alan Rickman's name out on the blog again!