Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Big Race

Writing, like any project or goal, is like a race. There’s a beginning, middle, end. Training and preparation make for an effective start. I’ve been working on my routine lately, going so far as to create what I call a World Class Routine. (I heard that phrase recently and became immediately infatuated.) Committed to this routine, I’m back in the race, so to speak.

I made a list of everything I wanted to improve or add in my life, getting back to my work-out schedule, daily writing, flossing, drinking enough water. All those areas in my life where sometimes I did, sometimes I didn’t. Then I started with my morning routine and figured out where my weak areas were and addressed those first. I realized that my biggest problem was leaving my important activities for the end of the day, after I’d gotten home from work. So I’d stay up late and try to get everything done while trying to relax and unwind at the same time. It’s not an effective combination.

My biggest change is going to bed at a decent hour so I can get up and work out. Once that’s out of the way, my evening gains at least an hour. Not that I always worked out at night, but feeling the pressure of leaving my walk and exercise undone put a real damper on my evening.

All this to say that I equate my new routine to the training phase of a race. Once I’m at the starting line, whether a real race, a new chapter in my novel, or even a writing conference, I experience the giddy excitement of beginning. The excitement doesn’t last too long because the work begins. During this part of the writing or big race or any big project, looking at the end-goal will get me through the tedium of the middle. Crossing the finish line is exhilarating! Then it’s on to the next accomplishment.

I never want to be a wannabe. If I want to accomplish a goal, I want to find a way to make it happen. Sometimes, it’s just a matter of making a couple small changes to get on track. What do you do to get yourself back in the race?

1 comment:

Patricia Kiyono said...

It sounds like you came to the same conclusion I did, Sharon. If I want to make something is done on a regular basis, it has to be done first thing in the day. But rather than exercising, I'm writing early in the morning. Maybe once my commitments slow down to a trickle, I'll make more time for walking. Good for you!