Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Being Meticulous

Yes, being meticulous about some things in life is a must. Taking that extra bit of time to attend to details makes life better. Especially if you're a writer. Nothing is worse than to have a savvy reader write to tell you how you missed some pertinent or minute fact and they will. You can research a book exhaustively and sure enough, that one little mistake is caught by someone. Where do these people exist? When I'm reading a book, I'm so into what the author is telling me, I'm not questioning her background research, but some people do.

Today, I'm crawling all over google trying to find background information for Arabian bride. I need to know all sorts of things to make her come alive to the reader, her religion, her position in life, her environment, rural or urban, traditions, language, mores, etc. etc. At the same time, the hero is an East Indian Prince who must become a pirate in order to regain his throne. More research! What would my story be without the richness of research?

We live in an age when such research can be accessed right from our desk tops, so there's no excuse for us not to be meticulous in said research.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Isn't it odd the things we find ourselves researching? Today, I tried to find our the US government's policy on prisoners of war and internment camps. For, you know, when my aliens crash land and have to be held in quarantine. And yes, we taxpayers probably have paid for someone to write a procedure on it.