Monday, December 5, 2011

Lessons Learned From My First Blog Tour

By W. S. Gager
For the last 10 days I have been blogging with 14 other authors on the Mystery We Write Blog Tour. It has been a great experience. This is my first blog tour as well as doing one with other authors. Each day I have tried to visit everyone’s blog, read the posts and comment. I’ve tried to post information to Facebook and Twitter on who’s at my blog and where I am appearing.  

 I wanted to share some things I have learned. Try and have a gimmick when you do a blog tour. For my blog, I have had my main character, Mitch Malone, interview each of the author’s character. Many have liked this unique approach. The other blogs have followed various themes such as writing on setting, a valuable lesson learned or having each author write the same subjects. This showcased how each author is unique and different. The hardest one for me was to post a piece of writing I was most proud of. That was a really difficult choice. 

Just before I went on the tour, I took a blogging class. This was important because it told me what I needed to do to have my blog ready.  One of the things it said was to make it easy for others to spread the word about your blog. Make sure they can follow you through Netblogs. Also have buttons to post easily to Twitter and Facebook. Many of my fellow blog mates didn’t have that. I couldn’t put something out to my followers on each of their blog posts--just not enough hours in the day without the easy share buttons.

I’m not sure if I’ve sold very many books with the blog tour but I do know that I met a lot of really generous mystery authors. Also the people that have seen my Mitch Malone Mystery Series have grown exponentially. That’s all I can ask. I’m happy with that. Have you participated in a blog tour? What were the lessons you learned?

I have four more days of the tour and I would love you to check out my blog and where I’m a guest. My blog is http://wsgager.blogspot.com/
 
I will be visiting these blogs:
Today:  http://blog.benrey.com/

W.S. Gager has lived in Michigan for most of her life except when she was interviewing race car drivers or professional woman’s golfers. She enjoyed the fast-paced life of a newspaper reporter until deciding to settle down and realized babies didn’t adapt well to running down story details on deadline. Since then she honed her skills on other forms of writing before deciding to do what she always wanted with her life and that was to write mystery novels. Her main character is Mitch Malone who is an edgy crime-beat reporter always on the hunt for the next Pulitzer and won’t let anyone stop him, supposedly. You can follow Wendy on her blog:

5 comments:

M.M. Gornell said...

I've been proudly touring with you, Wendy, and you are so right on all points. I've learned a lot, shared a lot, and so enjoyed getting to know you and your writing better.

Glad you're spreading the word!

Madeline (M.M.)Gornell

Dani said...

I hope the class helped you, Wendy. My online guide might be useful to your friends, too. http://quickest.blogbooktourguide.ever.com

WS Gager said...

Madeline: Thanks for stopping by. I've been having a great time on tour!

Dani: You are the best at blogging and I learned so much. You pay it forward ever day and I appreciate it.
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

Patricia Kiyono said...

Great suggestions, Wendy. Now if I could find out HOW to do some of the things you mentioned, that would be so helpful. Maybe you could do a session on blog buttons and Netblogs for GRRWG?

Stephanie Michels, author said...

Dani, nice to meet you.

Wendy, great blog. See you at the next meeting I hope! I'll try to remember my book so you can sign it.