Sunday, December 11, 2011

Expect the Unexpected - Holiday Magic

Every year someone asks if I’m heading home for the holidays. “Home” is Denver and I always reply that the holidays are too hectic for a real visit. We’ll find out if that’s true this year. 2011 will find me home for a double helping – Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Maybe I’ve made peace with my hometown but I find I’m definitely looking forward to being there.

We are not the Waltons. Likely, with three distinct households, there will be three separate celebrations. My brother will have his family, I’ll probably be with my sister, and my parents will take it easy, my mom venturing out to join us for a couple hours. The teenagers – that’s shorthand for all of our kids now – don’t need much time to unwrap their gifts … gift cards and cash, for the most part. I’m bringing something homemade (it’s a surprise!) but gifts aren’t the real focus anymore. Thank goodness.

Special times for me don’t have much to do with the actual holiday. Hanging out with my sister, talking for hours, sitting on the side of the tub while she puts on make-up or does her hair … that’s special time for me. My mom and I like to go to the movies – she saves it up for me, I think. So an afternoon matinee with lunch or coffee somewhere – that will be my mom time.

Chinese food with my dad and heading down to see my brother and his family at some point … that about covers it.

Friends … as in, spending time with them – a real treat for me living 1,300 miles away from some of the most important people in my life.

Christmas – the celebration of Christ’s birth – that’s my personal time with my church. Beyond the malls, lights, missed expectations, sales, lists … I’ll make time to join my church family to celebrate this holy day.

New Year’s Eve. One of my favorite holidays of the year – I love the emotional “saying good-bye to the past” and “hello to the future” aspect. 2011 has been an amazing year and it started with a magical New Year’s Eve turning to New Year’s Day. I’m looking forward to unexpected magic again this year – it’s one of those elements that can’t be planned.

I’ll tear myself away from Denver and return to Grand Rapids to greet 2012. Maybe that’s why I haven’t visited as often; it’s so difficult to leave. Returning to my Michigan home, I’ll leave part of my heart in Colorado. I always do.

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I can see why it would be difficult to tear yourself away. Hope you have a wonderful visit!

T L Doezema said...

Sharon-- first-- I absolutely love Colorado! My husband and I went there for our honeymoon last spring and we'd live there if we could. second-- I too get emotional about the new year, ever since I was little! I even have my own tradition of writing in my journal on New year's eve, reflecting on the past year and thinking about the new. There have times when an entire year went by where I was too "busy" to write in my journal, so you'll see two new years eve entries in a row. I never forget that day. :)