Monday, November 14, 2011

It's a Family Tradition.

I'm much younger than my brothers and sisters, so as I was going though elementary school, they were getting married and having children. My family has always done big family get-togethers for Christmas and New Year's, but Thanksgiving was a chance for all my siblings to visit their in-laws. 

Now that I am the age they were, their children are getting married and they do their own family celebrations. So my husband and I are starting to sort out ours. His family is in Florida and Minnesota, so traveling to visit them, while fun, isn't just a quick car ride. 

Last year we spent the day at home and he smoked a turkey and the kids refused to eat anything. (Ah the joys of small children.) 

This year I don't know what we will do. I am planning to run in a Turkey Trot that I haven't trained for, so that could set the tone for my day at least. I could be tired and too achy to move the rest of the day. 

Despite not having any plans, I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving holiday. Four whole days where my husband doesn't have to work. Possibly picking out a Christmas tree (although we should get a fake one because of my son's allergies. boo.) And finally having time to relax. 

What's your favorite thing about Thanksgiving weekend?

4 comments:

J.C. Hanks said...

My hubby started a tradition of Spaghetti for Thanksgiving instead of the traditional big meal, after spending a few holiday dinners with my family. His point was we should be spending time together not in the kitchen and everyone likes spaghetti, plus it's easy, quick, and a short cleanup. My dad and stepmother joined us one year and had lots of fun playing board games and just hanging out.

Now that we're in Michigan with no family close by, we keep it up for ourselves and instead spend the time watching favorite movies. And at Christmas it's the "A Christmas Story" marathon.

Nice and quiet, and if my family remembers to call, it's a miracle. (His always does).

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Sounds good. Keep it simple and enjoy the time together.

Tess Grant said...

Thanksgiving has become such a big deal (go here, go there, go over there) that I think I'm leaning toward spaghetti! Thanks for the idea, JC!

Patricia Kiyono said...

My daughter signed up for the Turkey Trot at Cornerstone, and I'm thinking about going, too! My chef will have things going smoothly here, so if I have the house clean before then, I just might - but I'll walk, not run, so I'll be able to enjoy the dinner!