Thursday, November 17, 2011

If only I had time to write



If only I had time to write.
You’ve said it.  You’ve thought it.  If only (the dog wasn’t sick, the kids didn’t need a chauffeur, I could blow off this meeting, I didn’t have a headache, my parents would stop calling me; fill-in-the-blank) then I’d have time to write.  I could plot and outline and bust out word count, keep up on social media, and implement that marketing plan I now have time to put together.
Get over it, Ginger, you’ll never have a golden bubble to write in.  Time is a bus, you have to catch it when you can even if it’s not your stop.
I should know.  I started writing when my kids were tweens (don’t you hate that term?)  I swear I had more output than now, when they are living on their own.  Music lessons, swim, Scouts, paper routes, we did it all.  I had a full plate of Mom duties, but I also had a critique group that demanded (in such a nice way) a chapter a week.  I got it done.
The key is not to dream about that far-off day but to take advantage of what you can do now.  I won’t give you a rah-rah speech, or tell you to set goals or any other motivational clichés.  Instead, think of writing as a mission. 
Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to write from your heart and never forget why you started this crazy business in the first place.  Yes, there will be days (or weeks) when you write garbage or not at all, but that’s okay.  You’ll get back to it, I know you will.  And it will be fabulous, just like you are.  Now stop reading and go write something.

2 comments:

Peg Cochran said...

Great post, Cheryl, and spot on! Even with a contract and an advance check in the bank, the family doesn't necessarily get it! You find the time no matter what. But wouldn't it be nice to have a long stretch of an afternoon...nah, ain't gonna happen!

Patricia Kiyono said...

Thanks for the pep talk! No matter how busy I think I am now, it's nothing compared to what I went through when my kids were small and I was working full time. So I have absolutely no excuse for not getting my writing done. Little chunks of time can add up. So I guess I'd better get back to work.