Sunday, November 20, 2011

Here's a traffic tip for you bloggers out there...

Once upon a time, a very crafty writer came to visit our group, and she told us that every time she talked about Alan Rickman on her blog, her web traffic went up. People would be searching for Alan Rickman, or they would have some kind of psychic alert that somewhere, someone was blogging about Snape and they instinctively followed some kind of migratory pattern to her blog.

I tried this out myself, and the results were pretty clear. Talking about Alan Rickman is a surefire way to draw blog traffic.

So, I'm going to try out a little accidental viral traffic corralling technique of my own. I present to you, something funny I saw on wikipedia and photoshopped into a higher existence:


Now, it's a silly little joke, it's nothing special, but I can now take this image and pin it to my pinterest.com account. My Doctor Who joke might tickle someone else's funny bone, and they might pin it to their account. And so on and so forth. And anytime someone clicks through to the source, they're going to wind up here. I can do the same thing on facebook. I share a link to this blogpost, someone goes, "Aha, that's funny! And also Jen is quite brilliant and probably a dynamo in the sack," and they share the link.

HI PEOPLE WHO WOUND UP HERE THROUGH TRICKERY AND DECEIT! HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO WRITE OR JOIN A WRITING GROUP IN MICHIGAN? THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

This is a really simple trick you all can use to direct traffic to your own blogs. Now, you can't do it all the time. But every once and while, you can shamelessly exploit other peoples' interests to align with your own nefarious ends.

No comments: