Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor of Love for Writer

I hope you are enjoying your Labor Day. My labor will be one that I love. I’m taking a much needed break with my family but also working on my next book. At least that is my plan…

I’m cheating and writing this ahead because I will be on Drummond Island for the weekend and internet access will be doubtful. I’m combining this family time with research for my fifth book which will take place on the rural island filled with wildlife in Lake Huron. (Book 3, A CASE OF HOMETOWN BLUES came out last month) My crime reporting sleuth, Mitch Malone, will be taking vacation in this book but haven’t decided if it is forced upon him or not. Details of the book are still sketchy but will open with a body washing up on the rocky beach near where Mitch is staying. Smuggling will play a part in it but what contraband you will have to wait and see. (I haven’t decided yet. I’m waffling between using all the detail I learned about jewels over spring break and a big smuggling problem in Michigan with its sin tax. ) I don’t have all the details yet. I start with a very basic idea then the characters hijack me and take over. We will have to see what Mitch finds. Maybe it will be both.

Weather for the weekend has some rain and I’m hoping for a storm. I want to see how it blows up and what it looks like on the lake. I can picture that opening scene and a storm will be blowing in when Mitch literally stumbles over the body. If not, I might have to plan another trip. Isn’t that a terrible work-related job! Enjoy your Labor Day!

W.S. Gager
www.wsgager.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

It's great when you can combine work with pleasure. Have a great holiday vacation!

WS Gager said...

Thanks, Patty. Home now and the weather didn't cooperate as much as I would have liked but I did get some great ideas.
Wendy

J Q Rose said...

I smirked when you said you were hoping for a storm on Labor Day. Shame on you, but I completely understand why you would like to see one. Always look forward to hearing about your upcoming Mitch Malone mysteries. This sounds intriguing.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

We had a pretty good storm here on Saturday, but we didn't get to see it come across the lake. Hope you had a lovely weekend anyway.

WS Gager said...

I was hoping for a storm and all I heard was a little thunder and then we had rain and it came from the north and not from the direction of the lake, which is what I wanted. I did get to see Canada which will play a major part in the book.

jagager said...

Too bad no storm on your holiday; that's the breaks! Can picture you holed up on a couch with laptop in lap, tho, just letting those ideas flow. Glad you're home safely. Need full report on the weekend.

Tess Grant said...

It does sound like a great time--cabin, laptop, quiet! Hope you got loads done.

WS Gager said...

I need to confess that I didn't get as much done as I planned. Did I mention I had three kids and a husband who were lacking in things to do in gray weather...Enter the tour guide who did lots of thinking while forcing them away from the TV!
Wendy