Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Impact of a Day

Ten years ago a single day changed a generation. I’m torn between wanting to remember the heroes and victims of that day and not wanting to memorialize such an atrocious act of terrorism against our country. Of all days, today we took my mom to the airport for her return trip to Denver from Grand Rapids. A tiny thought crossed my mind, “what if …” and I immediately squashed any idea of something happening to a Frontier flight from Michigan to Colorado. What significance could an airplane full of ordinary people have in the eyes of terrorist history except for the extraordinary effect those ordinary people have in our lives? I still prayed for their safety.

Yet, there are lessons we can remember. We never know what will happen between the time we say good-bye to those whom we love and when we see them again. Seeing them at the end of the day, after work, at the bar, in the grocery store, in car-line … all this we take for granted.

I’ve been married twice. During those years – all seven of them – I remember arguments that lasted beyond good-nights and even good-byes. But after the tears and frustration, and underlying the conflict, flowed a river of love. Never in my angriest moment would I have wished for my husband to never cross my doorstep again.

There is always a place for apology and forgiveness and I pray that we search for it before closing the door behind someone we love, whether a husband or wife, child, brother, sister, friend, neighbor.

Make time to tell someone you love them, especially if you haven’t said it for awhile. If you need to apologize, believe that the rewards are greater than the hesitation.

We really don’t know what tomorrow holds. God willing, tomorrow will not bring tragedy, but let’s do what we can to be sure that the last thoughts someone has of us are of love, not anger.

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Great post, Sharon. Thank you for the reminder.

Tess Grant said...

Yes, thank you, Sharon. We all need the reminder to forgive.