Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sliding in here

Okay, so I'm a day late with my post, but since I didn't see Sharon's up yet, I decided to slide in here. Anyone have a problem with that...? Anyone? Anyone here?

Well, assuming someone's reading this, I'll continue.

Having written a number of menage a trois erotic romance novels and even some with menage a quatre, I have decided to scale back my love relationships in my next novel. So I started to think about the kind of love story I'd like to write.

You know how once you pick a movie from Netflix they give you recommendations based on it? Well, I don't remember what started the recommendations, maybe having watched the entire series of The L-Word with my hubby, but I found myself with lots of lesbian movie choices. After watching several, I decided I wanted to write a lesbian erotic romance story, but first I needed to clear it with my publisher.

For whatever reason, F/F erotic romance isn't nearly as popular as M/M among heterosexual women, but it seems to be growing. At least that was what the Executive Editor said when I asked if I could submit an F/F story.

My theory about this growth is that M/M is no longer pushing the boundaries of kink for most heterosexual women who read it on a regular basis. I think women are looking for the new taboo, and what could be more taboo for a heterosexual woman than imagining herself loving another woman?

So my lesbian romance is nearly finished. I will be submitting it to a new line of shortie short stories at my publisher. I'll let you know what my editor thinks.

FYI - If you're looking for some great lesbian movies, I recommend:
The Gymnast
A Marine Story
Elena Undone

4 comments:

J.C. Hanks said...

When you get it done let me know, I know several LGBT folks who'd love to read a good Lesbian love story with all the yummy bits left in. Besides, you know your publisher just doesn't want to admit that it may turn them on a bit "too" much and that's why their hesitant to publish it. ;)

Brynn Paulin said...

Actually, JC, f/f doesn't sell well at the moment. That's why most publishers are hesitant to touch it.

Suzanne Graham said...

Hmmm, sounds like a promo issue. Need to reach out and find the LGBT folks who would appreciate the F/F romances.

Update: My editor has offered me a contract on the short story! I'll let you know when it'll be released.

Suzanne Graham said...

Hey J.C. - please let your friends know that Never Letting Go will be released September 21 from Resplendence Publishing!