Monday, August 1, 2011

New Challenges

I don't consider myself a "techie" but I do spend a lot of time on my laptop. Aside from writing, that is. My kids tease me because I know more about their friends than they do because of the time I spend on facebook. And I have my online games. Scrabble, Solitaire, Boggle, and Wheel of Fortune are my current favorites. Each one soaks up a lot of time that I probably should spend writing. But I read somewhere that doing these word games helps sharpen my brain power and could keep me from getting Alzheimer's eventually. So I guess I could argue that this time is actually "preventative therapy"!

After getting the nod from Astraea Press, I've been working on promotion. I ordered (online, of course) bookmarks and magnets to hand out to people. I figured out how to set up a fan page on facebook. And then I decided to set up a website. I have a daughter and a grandson who both have experience doing that, so I wasn't worried. I figured I could get a nice site with a minimal amount of money. So I bought the domain name, and then shopped around for hosting. It turns out the company I bought my promotional materials from offered it, and I could have my site match my business cards and bookmarks, so I chose them. I got my webmistress to come over by bribing her with a nice dinner, and we got started. But we ran into a glitch, and Customer Service wasn't open on Sundays. So I had to call them the following day.

On my first opportunity the following Monday, I made my phone call. I found out I had to follow a two-step process involving "domain pointing". So I made another phone call. Five minutes later I had a live site! I went back to Vista Print, found their Web Builder, and started working. Fifteen minutes later I had a website with five pages! I sent the link to my daughter at work, who was duly impressed.

So my point is, you never know what you're capable of until you try it! I never thought I'd be able to set up my own website, but I did. Eventually, when I get rich and famous, I'll be able to pay someone to design and maintain something that really advertises my many, many books. But for now, I've got something that's easy for me to keep updated. I think it reflects who I am and the materials I produce. And I'm not out a lot of money! It's amazing what you can do. Like I told my daughter, as long as there's a help button and a customer service rep, I can handle this.

What new challenge have you tried lately?

1 comment:

Tess Grant said...

Great job! I'm starting promotion too, and I'm really letting it get to me. Guess I just need to jump in and keep a positive attitude.