Friday, July 1, 2011

Tooting My Horn



I've belonged to writers' groups for at least ten years. I've been in a wonderful critique group for over a year. I’ve taken several online writing classes, and spent hours parked in front of my laptop. So I am so relieved to finally have some news to crow about! My short story, The Legacy, will be available at Astraea Press (www.astraeapress.com) sometime this month! It will be part of the Japan Relief Novella series. One hundred percent of the proceeds will go to charity, which means I won't get any royalties. But that's okay! I am being treated as a regular author, complete with a book cover (I am so pleased with cover artist Elaina Lee's creation, above) and blurb, which was supplied by GRRWG's talented Stephanie Michels.

So now I'm having a great time ordering promotional materials to hand out to friends and family members who have promised to hand them out to their friends. I'm setting up e-mail addresses and a website, and lining up techies to help me with them. I'm notifying people via e-mail and facebook. Maybe I'll even work up the energy to tackle Twitter.

And I'm writing. "Success breeds success," they say. But in this case it's more like "Success motivates one to continue to succeed." I'm not going to go anywhere as a writer on the basis of one short story. I need to create more dialogue, more conflict, more interesting characters. So I sit here in front of my laptop, writing, polishing, and writing some more.

It's a lonely job. It's kind of like Woman's Work - it's never done.

But I love it.

Patty Kiyono

3 comments:

Andrea Dickinson said...

Congratulations, Patty!
I'm so happy for you.

chocoaddict said...

Thanks, Andrea. I'm still flying high. Gotta keep working while I've got the momentum.

Theresa Grant said...

You hit it on the head, Patty. Sucess really is a big motivator!

Congrats!